News and Events
There's always something new going on at Mary A. Otondo Elementary. Stop by this page often for more information on special events and awards as well as informational articles!
Our fall festival will be on Saturday, October 19 from 5:00 until 8:00 p.m. Bring the entire family and help our PTO raise funds to support our school. There will be a trick-or-treat hall, haunted classrooms, games, a cakewalk, a petting zoo, face painting, jumpers, and so much more! See our October newsletter for more information!
Student illness has been on the rise recently here at Otondo. Please remember that students may not attend school with the following conditions:
- Fever (temperature over 100 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Excessive sneezing/coughing
Students must be free of fever for 24 hours without medication. Students must remain at home until the other conditions have subsided or a physician provides evidence that your child may return to school. Thank you for your help!
Fall picture day is on Wednesday, September 25. Watch for additional information coming home soon. Be ready to dress your best and smile!
Our PTO fall fundraiser is starting soon, and we encourage students to participate in this fundraiser by taking orders for cookie dough. Students should only take orders from friends and family under parent/guardian supervision. There is no door-to-door selling. Students will bring home information about the fundraiser. Please contact PTO with any questions.
Cell phones and personal electronic devices are not permitted without administrative approval. Students displaying possession of cell phones or electronic devices at school, on school-related outings/events, or on school buses, may have the device confiscated for parent pick-up at a later time. The school is not responsible for the breakage, loss, or theft of such personal devices. Please request cell phone agreements from the front office.
Transportation has worked very hard to make bus assignments for over 350 students at our school. It is very important that if for some reason your student needs to make a change from how they normally ride the bus, (parent will pick up, ride a different bus, or address has changed, etc.) the parent needs to write a note each time to the teacher. Without a written note from the parent, we will place the student on the assigned bus as usual. We cannot place your child on a different bus unless you have contacted transportation at (928) 502.8840 and made arrangements through them. Thank you in advance for your assistance!
A reminder that school releases every Monday at 2:10 p.m. Please make sure you make arrangements for your child’s dismissal and let your child’s teacher know your procedure. Thank you!
We are so excited to introduce you to Benchmark ADVANCE, our new English Language Arts curriculum. This will be new for the 2019–2020 school year. Please take a moment to read about this new curriculum, and feel free to let us know if you have any questions.
We want to keep all our students, staff, and visitors safe! Below are some tips to remain safe throughout the school year.
- Parents/visitors are not permitted on the school playgrounds unless there is a special class/grade level/school activity.
- Students should not arrive at school before 8:15 a.m. unless they will be attending Right At School.
- Parents dropping off students should only do so in the drop-off lane. Please pull forward as far as possible to help facilitate drop offs. (Use north crosswalk.)
- Please do not drop students off in other areas of the parking lot.
- Parents escorting students may use either crosswalk. Unescorted students please use the north crosswalk.
- At morning drop-off, students grades one through five are to enter the playground area through the front gate, closest to the south crosswalk by the end of wing C. Parents/visitors are not permitted on the school playgrounds.
- Dismissal time is very busy in the front hallway. Parents, please wait for children outside under the trees, weather permitting.
- We do not permit parents/visitors in any part of the building without permission, signing in, and wearing a visitor’s pass obtained from school office personnel. When you are ready to leave, please sign out at the office and remove your pass.
- We do not allow pets on campus unless you have made prior arrangements with school administration.
Don’t be a U.F.O. (Unidentified Friend of Otondo) Please check in at the office and obtain a visitor’s pass.