News and Events
There's always something new going on at Mary A. Otondo Elementary. Stop by this page often for more information on special events and awards as well as informational articles!
Our PTO is hosting a free movie night on Thursday, November 15 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on the front lawn. The movie is Wreck-It Ralph! Please bring lawn chairs or blankets to sit on and a sweater or jacket. The PTO will be selling snacks and drinks. There will also be a raffle for Thanksgiving baskets! We hope to see you there!
Don't miss our PTO-sponsored event, Donuts for Dad, on Thursday, November 29 in the front entryway of Otondo. Kids, bring your dad and have a donut with him!
The 36-member Otondo Special Olympics Play Unified team will be playing in the district-wide soccer tournament on Friday, November 16 at Yuma Valley Park from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The park is at 3162 West 24th Street in Yuma. We invite you to attend!
Castle Dome Middle School invited our school to their Veterans Day celebration on Friday, November 9. We will join them in their gymnasium for this time of remembrance and homage. There will be a guest speaker, and their band and choir will perform.
Please join us for our fall festival on Saturday, October 20 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Bring the entire family, and help our PTO raise funds to support our school! There will be a trick-or-treat hall, mini-haunted classroom, games, cakewalk, dunk tank, petting zoo, face painting, jumpers, pumpkin carving contest, Halloween costume contest for kids and adults, and more! Don’t forget about the food, there will be plenty. The Military, Border Patrol, and Law Enforcement may have displays.
Attractions and food items are one to four tickets each. Pre-sale tickets are October 2 through 15, with pick-up on October 17. The cost is 25 tickets for $10, or 50 for $20! Tickets are 50 cents each at the festival.
If possible, we would like each family to donate a bag of individually wrapped small candies for the festival. Please bring them to the school office prior to October 20. Thank you, and we can't wait to see you there!
Parent-teacher conferences will be October 9 through the 12. We will have early release at 1:00 p.m. all four days! We know you are busy, but it is so important for you to come to your child’s conference. Working together helps to ensure your child’s success. Please work with your child’s teacher to schedule a time for your child’s conference, and then be there!
Be prepared. Write notes to yourself that you want to share with your child’s teacher. Ask questions about school or classroom policies and procedures. Give your child’s teacher any tips to use to help your child be successful.
Ask important questions. How is my child progressing at this time? How does my child do socially? What are my child’s strengths and areas for growth? How can we support at home what you are doing in the classroom? Thank you in advance!
Student illness has been on the rise recently here at Otondo. Please remember that students may not attend school with the following conditions:
- Fever (temperature over 100 degrees F.)
- Excessive sneezing/coughing
Students must be free of fever for 24 hours without medication. Students must remain at home until the other conditions have subsided or a physician provides evidence that your child may return to school. Thank you for your help!
We want to keep all our students, staff, and visitors safe! Below are some tips to remain safe throughout the school year.
- Parents/visitors are not permitted on the school playgrounds unless there is a special class/grade level/school activity.
- Students should not arrive at school before 8:15 a.m. unless they will be attending Right At School.
- Parents dropping off students should only do so in the drop-off lane. Please pull forward as far as possible to help facilitate drop-offs. (Use north crosswalk.)
- Please do not drop students off in other areas of the parking lot.
- Parents escorting students may use either crosswalk. Unescorted students please use the north crosswalk.
- At morning drop-off, students grades 1 through 5 are to enter the playground area through the front gate, closest to the south crosswalk by the end of wing C. Parents/visitors are not permitted on the school playgrounds.
- Dismissal time is very busy in the front hallway. Parents, please wait for children outside, under the trees, weather permitting.
- Parents/visitors are not permitted in any part of the building without permission, signing in, and wearing a visitor’s pass obtained from school office personnel. When you are ready to leave, please sign out at the office and remove your pass.
Don’t be a U.F.O. (Unidentified Friend of Otondo) Please check in at the office and obtain a visitor’s pass.
September's lifeskill is responsibility! Responsibility means “I am the one that gets things done!” It means doing what's required, needed, or expected of us.
Otondo Coyotes are responsible when:
- They follow class, school and District rules and procedures.
- They complete and turn in on time all required/requested work/homework.
- They set an appropriate behavior example for other students.
- They are a friend and helper to everyone.
Our PTO fall fundraiser begins September 11! We encourage students to participate in this fundraiser by taking orders for Arizona Fundraisers products from their friends and family under parent/guardian supervision. There is no door-to door selling. Students will bring home information about the fundraiser.
Students must turn in completed fundraising forms, cash, and checks to their teachers on Tuesday, September 25. The PTO will use the funds to support students and staff during the school year. Please help your child participate in this fund raising effort if possible. Thank You!
Our school supply lists are now available. Get a jump start on your back-to-school prep and buy your supplies early. Please see our supply lists for the supplies needed for each grade. We hope you are having a wonderful summer and look forward to seeing everyone soon!